Friday, August 29, 2014

FL Studio | Organization Pt.2

Color Coding


Welcome back! and boy do I have a special one this week. As some may know, I posted Organization Pt.1 last week so I'll be moving forward to Pt.2 right now. I'm going to show you all how to use all color coding options available on FL Studio. There are three main sections where color coding is important. One exists within your Playlist window on the left, which is your track list column. Next you have your Channel / Sequencer window, where we will be color coding our audio samples / vsts. Finally, there is the Mixer window, where we color code our active channels. If you rename / label your samples, vsts, tracks, and channels you probably have easily missed the color coding tool located right next to it. Here's a picture to show this:
It's pretty hidden huh? specially with the default grey colored box. A couple of years back, I had no idea this tool was available to me. What you do first is select rename (Shift + Left Click on track or channel). Then click the color box and a color grid will display. Select your color between tints and shadows, hit Enter on your keyboard, and your done.
Easy! I would suggest labeling your music elements with a specific color: e.g. Drums (Red), Instruments (Blue), Vox (Yellow), SFX (Violet), Bass (Green), or however you choose to identify them. The process of color coding remains the same for all three windows I mentioned earlier (Playlist Tracks, Channel / Sequencer, and Mixer). It's up to you to explore what you like and how you choose to label things within your session. Hope this was helpful. Till next time.

2 comments:

  1. I checked out your post last time on the FL studio so I was happy to follow up or your part 2. I really enjoy the ability to hear more about new ideas, techniques and products, so thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to hear that. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete