Friday, August 8, 2014

Must Know: FL Studio Hotkeys



There's some joy and excitement about finding hotkeys within your DAW by accidentally hitting a key, or multiple keys, at once. So yesterday I was messing around with a new beat in progress, right. I was playing around with my recorded MIDI notes in FL Studio's piano roll window. I was trying to find a way to bring up the velocity of all the selected notes simultaneously when all of a sudden... BOOM I literally got it by trying random stuff. You want to know how I did it? Watch out foo's here comes the mastermind trick:


Go to your piano roll window and select all the notes (ctrl+a) you just programmed. 

Take your mouse and hover over any note currently being selected.  
Now press "alt" and scroll your mouse wheel up or down and... MAGIC! 
YES!! workflow improvement 100%... Can I hear a WOOP WOOP



To celebrate this week's "biggest accomplishment", I decided to lay down some of my favorite hotkeys that you may or may not already know.


F4 - Auto find next empty pattern

F5 - Open / Hide Playlist (Edit Window)
F6 - Open / Hide Channel Window & Step Sequencer
F7 - Open / Hide Piano Roll
F8 - Open / Hide Browser
F9 - Open / Hide Mixer
F10 - Open / Hide MIDI settings

Double Click Current Background Image - To change background image

Shift + Click Audio or MIDI Clip - Duplicate clip

Click and Hold Scroll Wheel - Quickly move left and right across playlist window

Ctrl + L - Toggle between PAT and SONG mode
Click Scroll Wheel On BG Image - Open / Close Plugin Picker Window

3 comments:

  1. Hot keys are a must at a professional level as they will greatly improve workflow. I def think that is one of the differences between a professional and a hobby user. If you can finish your work faster the client will normally be happier and likely to come back to you for future projects and you have time to work on other projects. I’d be interested to see some more obscure Protools hot keys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never was a fan of FL workflow, but with these hot keys it may become more fluid to work with. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These hot keys are essential and working efficiently and quickly.

    ReplyDelete